On the weekends, I love to take my time, and bake a big batch of something tasty. It makes my mornings easier if I’ve got a quick go to breakfast for the kids , and now that I’ll be working out of the house part time, I’m trying to find all the ways I can to make it a smooth transition.
Right now the blueberry and lemon combo is our thing, and we make everything gluten free. Shoot, we don’t even have wheat flour in the house. I’ve played a lot with recipes to find what makes them work best, and these will be made again soon . This recipe was a big hit, and the fact that they’re packing a decent protein punch makes them even better.
Let’s get to the recipe so you can start baking! ( This recipe was adapted from one I found here.)
1 1/2 C Namaste Perfect Flour Blend ( or use 2 C Namaste alone )
1/4 C Almond Flour
1/4 C Whey Protein Powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, room temperature ( sub coconut oil if needed )
3/4 C sugar
2 tsp lemon zest or 10 drops Lemon essential oil *
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbls lemon juice
1 C Blueberries, fresh or thawed if frozen
– In a small bowl, whisk together flours, whey protein, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
– If using thawed blueberries, toss with 1 tbls flour mix and set aside.
– In your mixer, whisk butter and sugar until fluffy.
– Add in lemon zest or oil, eggs, vanilla, and lemon juice. Continue to whisk until fluffy again.
– Add flour mix, and pulse just until mixed. Do not overmix, or muffins will be dense instead of fluffy.
– Remove beaters, and gently fold in blueberries.
– Spoon into muffin tin about 3/4 full, and bake 23-25 minutes.
* You can absolutely stick with lemon zest and juice if that’s what you have. The only essential oils I suggest using internally are doTerra, as they are the ones I’ve researched thoroughly .
With Love –